Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Nautical RI Life

Change is never an easy thing, especially when that change means leaving the place you've called home for eight years.  Two months ago I packed up my house in North Carolina to make the biggest self sought change of my life...  I moved to Rhode Island.  Its mind blowing and almost scary to find out first hand that if you want something bad enough eventually you will get it.  With the holidays and my new job I'm just now getting a chance to sit back, relax and take it all in.  I knew Rhode Island was small, but in the midst of planning I never stopped to think about what that meant.  

It means that in the summertime, I can drive just half an hour to the beach with a girlfriend.  My days of laying in the back yard hosing myself down to beat the southern heat are over.

It means that seafood (my absolute fav) is readily available, fresh and oh sooo good!  We drove 10 lobsters home for Christmas Dinner in Vermont that were caught right in Narragansett.  My brother Ian is holding the 4 pounder in his left hand.  I'm pretty sure in this outfit he could land a spot on Deadliest Catch.  Not a bad idea for him.

 
The other perk to moving somewhere new close to the ocean, I now actually have an excuse for a nautical design scheme.  Where before it might have been weird designing a Coastal Living inspired room three hours inland from the shore, I have free reign to go ocean without being tacky.  We have selected an oh so perfect deep royal blue that makes white trim stand out beautifully.  My sisal rug found a new home under the dining table, and my asparagus ferns purchased as a prop for the October High Point Market are thriving in all the natural light.

Moving is an event that forces you sort out the things you haven't used in years.  Some items you can trash, some you donate and some you just can't bring with you because there's no room... so sad!  But the whole process prepares you to start fresh, start organized and fine tune how you really live.

This fabulously nautical accent was brought home to me as a surprise found on Craigslist one December evening.  Have you ever seen a lobster pot coffee table?!  I loved it right away and I'm convinced if marketed to the right company could be the next big thing to graze the pages of Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn.
In case you are wondering, yes that is a tape measure foot.  I need to re purpose some wine corks to make a new one.  Restoration Hardware wouldn't have this problem. 

The last thing I want to share is the beautiful Christmas tree we were able to have.  The house is built in cape style and has the most amazing skylights in the pitched roof of the living room.  This ten foot tree somehow fit on my car and in the door.  I've had a turquoise and silver tree for the past three years, but this year with some help the red, silver and gold balls looked magical against our blue walls.

It's been a busy two months, but we made it.  Welcome Home.
- Amber

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely Gorgeous! Extremely jealous of the Lobster Pot Coffee Table, such an incredible find!

    ReplyDelete